Patricia NicolasMay 4, 2017, 10:37 pm

AG Schneiderman sues companies convicted of dumping in Robert Clemente Park

Officials hope to use money won in the suit to restore the affected parks

Embed code of this video:

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a lawsuit on Thursday against the people and companies responsible for the thousands of tons of contaminated waste dumped inside Robert Clemente Park.

Officials are seeking millions in damages from two dozen contractors and subcontractors who caused the community years of loss of access to the park.

Among the recently convicted is Thomas Dantre Junior who pled guilty to criminal charges against him and was recently sentenced to one year in prison.

Since then, Suffolk has put in place stricter penalties for those caught illegally dumping in the county but some in the community say it isn’t enough

“I think in terms of that damage there is no way to could sufficiently satisfy the damage that they have done,” Brentwood resident Ana Flores said.

AG Schneiderman says whatever money they do collect from the lawsuit will be handled by the state toward enchaining and restoring parks in the Brentwood community.

What's On Now & Next



Oyster Bay, New York