For more information, please visit the following link:
For more information, please visit the following link:
The United States Hockey League announced a schedule of preseason games to highlight the 2013 USHL Atlantic Challenge, which will be played for the first time on the East Coast. The games will be played at the Ice House in Hackensack, N.J., and Codey Arena in West Orange, N.J., on the dates below:
Friday, Sept. 6
Muskegon Lumberjacks vs. Waterloo Black Hawks (Codey Arena), 5 p.m.
Youngstown Phantoms vs. Sioux City Musketeers (Ice House), 7 p.m.
Cedar Rapids RoughRiders vs. Sioux Falls Stampede (Codey Arena), 8 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 7
Sioux Falls Stampede vs. Youngstown Phantoms (Codey Arena), 12:30 p.m.
Waterloo Black Hawks vs. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (Ice House), 2 p.m.
Sioux City Musketeers vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks (Codey Arena), 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 8
Sioux City Musketeers vs. Waterloo Black Hawks (Codey Arena), 9:45 a.m.
Muskegon Lumberjacks vs. Sioux Falls Stampede (Codey Arena), 11 a.m.
Cedar Rapids RoughRiders vs. Youngstown Phantoms (Codey Arena), 12:45 p.m.
To learn more about Intuit's Small Business Big Game Competition, please click the following link:
Visit the Long Island anti-bullying website to report bullying and find resources.
Look for the FiOS1: Make Safety #1 booth at the Farmingdale Baseball League's Championship Day at Allen Park on Motor Ave. in Farmingdale on July 27 from 9 to 5 pm.
We'll have important tips on staying prepared in weather emergencies, and keeping safe at home, on the beach or on your boat, with information from the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, the Nassau DA's cyber safety unit and North Shore-LIJ Office of Community and Public Health!
We'll also have giveaways and safety tips to take home.
FiOS1 customers can tune in to channel 1 for safety tips on FiOS1 News Now weekdays at 5 p.m.
The Nassau County Department of Health is reporting that all beaches are currently open. Several beaches were closed earlier this week due to concerns that rainwater runoff had caused increased bacterial levels in the ocean.
To speak with a Health Department Representative on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., call 516-227-9717. For up-to-date recorded information on beach closings and openings, call 516-227-9700.
Restaurant Hunter "Signature Dish" Recipe: Japanese Tuna Nachos at Rachel's Waterside Grill in Freeport
- Slice 4 ounces of fresh tuna, dicing it into approximately 1/4-inch cubes, and set aside for later use.
- To Make smoked chili ginger aioli sauce:
- In a bowl add :
- 1 cup aioli (can be replaced with mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons of whole chipotle peppers
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
-1 teaspoon cilantro
-1 tablespoon lime juice
-2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 2-3 dashes of tobacco sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
-1 teaspoon sugar
- Whisk ingredients until all are blended together.
- For best results, let sauce sit for approximately 1-2 hours.
- To make nachos:
- Cut spring roll wrappers into triangles and place them into a deep fryer (or, using frying pan, add 1-2 cups of oil and, heat, then add cut spring roll wrappers and stir around so they do not stick. Fry for 3-4 minutes on hight heat).
- To plate:
- Lightly dress the diced tuna with the smoked chili ginger aioli sauce and place in a small bowl on a long rectangular plate.
- Top the tuna mix with 3 slices of avocado and 2 palm leaves.
- Take the fried nachos, shake off excess oil and add to plate next to the tuna.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top.
As told to us by Rachel's Waterside Grill co-owner and executive chef Richard Venticinque. Watch new episodes of "Restaurant Hunter" Thursday nights at 8 PM on FiOS1!
The Suffolk County Department of Health Services issued an advisory against bathing at 47 beaches due to Tuesday’s heavy rainfall.
These beaches are heavily influenced by storm-water runoff from surrounding watersheds and tributaries, which could elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing quality, officials say. The beaches are located within and adjacent to various north shore embayments (Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington Harbor and Bay, Centerport Harbor, Northport Harbor and Bay, Port Jefferson Harbor Complex, and Stony Brook Harbor), and those Long Island Sound beaches that are impacted by nearby storm water discharges (list of affected beaches are above). Copiague Harbor Beach in Copiague also remains closed.
This bathing advisory will remain in effect for at least 24 hours after all rainfall stops – or until the waters have been flushed by two successive tidal cycles. This advisory is subsequently expected to be lifted at 9 a.m. Thursday unless sampling indicates elevated bacterial numbers.
For the latest information, call the Bathing Beach hotline at 516-852-5822, contact the Department's Office of Ecology at 516-852-5760 during normal business hours, or visit the website: www.suffolkcountyny.gov/health and under “Our Environment,” click “Beaches.”
Due to yesterday’s heavy rainfall, 10 beaches are closed to bathing as a precautionary measure.
Storm-water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality, officials say.
The beaches affected are:
Centre Island Sound
Laurel Hollow Beach
Piping Rock Beach Club
To speak with a Nassau County Department of Health representative, on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., call 516-227-9717.
For up-to-date recorded information on beach closings and openings, call 516-227-9700.
- 12:30pmPush PauseFreezing the frame on local life
- 01:00pmFiOS1 NewsYour local news, traffic, and weather forecasts on the ones
- 01:30pmMy Long Island
- 02:00pmFiOS1 NewsYour local news, traffic, and weather forecasts on the ones
- 02:30pmFiOS1 NewsYour local news, traffic, and weather forecasts on the ones