Logan CrawfordFeb 3, 2018, 12:55 amFeb 5, 2018, 6:28 pm

Fire at a Stony Brook University dorm leaves number of students displaced

Police say flames erupted in a room on the 1st floor of building


STONY BROOK — Students who live in Stony Brook University’s Douglass Residence Hall in the Tabler Quad are staying elsewhere after there was a fire in one of the rooms on the first floor on Thursday night.

Assistant Chief of the Stony Brook University police Lawrence Zacharese says the fire started when a compressor in a small refrigerator owned by a student overheated. Zacharese says no one was hurt.

"Luckily, there's fire proofing in the buildings, and the quick response of our first responders both on campus and our local volunteer fire departments kept it very isolated — just to the one room," Zacharese said.

Police say several students were in the room at the time of the fire and the whole wing is displaced for now.

University police say students who live on the second and third floors of Douglass Residence Hall should be able to go back to their rooms by Sunday or Monday.

What's On Now & Next



Oyster Bay, New York