Logan CrawfordFeb 13, 2018, 12:59 amFeb 13, 2018, 11:47 am

Woman crawls to safety after flames erupt in Levittown apartment

20 people were displaced by fire that sparked in living room

Share

LEVITTOWN — After escaping flames that sparked in her living room Sunday, Michelle Sanchez is checking to see what is salvageable in her charred home. She says she was asleep when the smoke detector woke her up.

"Smoke detector going off like crazy and I went from my bedroom to the living room, and I see flames," she said.

She then crawled out of her apartment on her hands and knees.

The rest of the building evacuated once the fire started spreading at around 11:30 p.m., and Sanchez went to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Authorities say 20 people are displaced since several apartments are damaged by fire and smoke. With the Red Cross' help, Sanchez and other residents will be staying in hotels.

"Thank God for the smoke alarm. I would have never known. It would have just come right into my bedroom," she said.

What's On Now & Next

Traffic

Weather

Oyster Bay, New York
Few Clouds
79°F