Andy MattisonNov 1, 2017, 9:01 pmNov 2, 2017, 12:42 pm

NYC terror attack suspect was Uber driver

Uber confirmed that Sayfullo Saipov was a driver for the company and passed a background check

Share

NEW YORK, N.Y. — Uber has confirmed that the man suspected of driving a vehicle down a bike path near the World Trade Center site, killing eight people, was one of its drivers.

The ride-hailing service released a statement Tuesday night saying 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov passed a background check to become an Uber driver and had been actively driving on the platform for more than six months. Saipov has since been banned from the Uber app.

The company says it has reached out to law enforcement to provide its full assistance and is "aggressively and quickly reviewing" the suspect's history with Uber.

Uber says it is "horrified by this senseless act of violence."

A U.S. official familiar with the investigation into what happened says Saipov is from Uzbekistan and came to the U.S. in 2010.

What's On Now & Next

Traffic

Weather

Oyster Bay, New York
Overcast
63°F