An apartment building in Yonkers bursts into flames early Wednesday morning with first responders helping those that were seriously burned.
The fire department says the fire started before 2 a.m. in apartment 2 D at the building on McLean Avenue. Flames quickly shot up through the structure as most of the tenants were evacuated. However, six people had to be rescued, with one now in critical condition.
All who were evacuated will have to find somewhere else to go as all 17 units in the building are displaced. Eight residents are now in the hospital.
Selim Khan's friends were burned by the flames.
"We smelled smoke and we just started running and all the floor was burning and his legs burned a little bit... the daughter was in his hands, so thank God the baby is okay," Khan said. He is watching their two-year-old while his friends are treated at Westchester Medical Center.
The fire department says they do not know what sparked the fire yet. Mayor Mike Spano says no one is allowed inside right now, but there is a possibility half the building will be let in later in the day.
"This fire spread very rapidly, it can go left and right very, very quickly, and because the great fire department we have, they were able to stop it pretty much where it was when they got here," Mayor Spano said
The American Red Cross is helping out residents.
No word yet on when or if residents will be allowed to return home.