Raven SantanaAug 8, 2017, 6:35 pm

Experts caution against picking wild mushrooms after 15 poisoned this summer

Officials say many poisonous mushrooms resemble edible ones

Share

Experts from the New Jersey Poison and Information System say eating wild mushrooms from your garden, lawn or in the wild can become life-threatening.

Since July, there have been 15 cases of patients, ranging in age from 15 months to 75-years-old, who have been hospitalized because they ate wild mushrooms.

“Since May, we had almost 60 cases,” New Jersey poison and information system Managing Director Bruce Ruck said. “The number of cases of people ingesting mushrooms either intentionally by picking and eating or children eating what is on the lawn has gone up dramatically this year compared to previous years.”

Many edible mushrooms have toxic "look-a-likes" making it hard to see a distinguished difference in the plants.

According to experts, symptoms of mushroom poisoning include intense vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, damage to vital organs like the liver and even death.

If you or someone you know eats a wild mushroom, alert the New Jersey Poison Center or public health authorities.

What's On Now & Next

Traffic

NJ-3 E

NJ-21 - NJ-495
East
West
7 min (Avg 50 MPH)
7 min (Avg 52 MPH)

I-78 W

DIAMOND HILL RD - NJTP
West
East
16 min (Avg 55 MPH)
15 min (Avg 60 MPH)

I-287 N

US-1 - EXIT 14
North
South
12 min (Avg 66 MPH)
13 min (Avg 62 MPH)

I-95

I-280 - I-95/I-80 SPLIT
North | East
11 min (Avg 55 MPH)
min (Avg MPH)
More Traffic »

Weather

Jersey City, New Jersey
Overcast
43°F