Charles WatsonFeb 12, 2018, 5:34 pmFeb 13, 2018, 10:59 am

NJ Primary School diverts students after carbon monoxide leak

Leak happened before school day; no students were affected

Share

MILLSTONE — The Millstone Township Primary School diverted its students to Millstone Elementary after an early-morning gas leak scare.

The school's principal, Scott Baker, and some food service employees, who were waiting out in the parking lot, were not permitted to go on-camera but told FiOS1 News that they noticed the smell of gas coming from the kitchen as cafeteria workers were getting ready to prep meals for the day. The fire department and PSE&G were called out to the scene to check out the apparent gas leak that turned out to be carbon monoxide. PSE&G suspects the leak may have been caused by a malfunctioning boiler.

The leak happened before the start of the school day; no students were inside and parents had plenty of time to get their children over to the elementary school for a day of learning.

It's not clear when the school will reopen.

What's On Now & Next

Traffic

Weather

Jersey City, New Jersey
Overcast
36°F